Thursday 18 June 2020

Spanakopita & Mezze Platter

Quarantine supper tonite...  Live from NYC...
Today the humidity began to creep back into the Big Apple in the afternoon... the sun peeked out from behind thickening clouds less and less as the day wore on.  As night fell the dampness was palpable but thankfully the temperature remained moderate. The winds shifted from northerly to the southeasterly and my hair began to frizz as the moisture levels arrived on the wind.

The hubs worked until early afternoon arriving home before the rush.  After disinfection and a scrubbing in the shower we found a few brief moments on the deck to chat before he went off to nap and I found my way into the kitchen.  

I have been wanting to tackle phyllo for many moons but hesitated due to the multi layering and buttering of the thin wispy sheets.  The NYTimes Skillet Spanakopita by Alexa Weibel seemed doable and so I decided to finally take the plunge.  A comment on the recipe (by a Greek cook) indicated that it could be baked in a 9X13 pan with a few minor changes... and so here are the results of my efforts... 

A pan of delicious Spanakopita that actually tasted like the ones I have had here in NYC Greek restaurants!   It wasn't as difficult as I imagined, though I did need to melt an entire stick of butter to cover those 16 sheets of phyllo.  The hubs raved saying it was delicious and ate three pieces (I ate two myself) and we still have more than half a tray left for another meal.  Brava Alexa... your recipe was terrific! 

Alongside the Spanakopita we enjoyed a mezze platter of homemade Baba ghanouj, genoa salami, crackers, blueberries and cherries with a delicious semi soft Greek cheese...  accompanies by a full bodied Malbec.  After supper we settled down to watch Appolo 13 (gotta love Tom Hanks)
How was your day?  What's on your plate? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment