Thursday 4 June 2020

Peonies and Racism

Quarantine activities of the day...
Peonies... one of the most stunning flowers... these two beauties bloomed in the garden earlier this week.  Last year after they bloomed someone came by and cut them all... I was so sad... and angry... so this year I decided to cut two of them to enjoy in the house.  (Thank you Elsa for your photo... it motivated me to cut my peonies as well 😊)

Today after my weekly food foray (which I must say has become more of a routine and much less stressful) the hubs and I sat out on the deck, escaping the heat in the house, and enjoyed a Gunpowder Gin & Tonic with lime while we chatted about the situation in our country.

We discussed endemic and institutional racism and how it has effected each of us.  It is so apparent when we really look at the facts... I call it soft slavery....  segregation... redlining... the criminal justice system... school taxes and allocation... banking traditions (redlining again)... it all adds up to a lack of choices and a system rigged against minorities... especially black and brown people.

We must turn the reality of these issues into policy that levels the playing field so that ALL people in America have the chance to pursue their dreams.
How was your day?  And what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment